A History of The Hotel Miramar
The Hotel Miramar was originally built as a private residence in about 1905. It was owned by the Austrian Ambassador who used it as a weekend home. It is built in the “Arts and Crafts” style which was very popular at that time.
The house was converted into an hotel in the 1920s, when the two side wings were added. The name Miramar is a Spanish word meaning ‘view of the sea’, and is most appropriate.
During the Second World War the Miramar was used by the American Red Cross for US Nurses, WACs and ARC girls.
During the 1950s, 60s and 70s the Hotel Miramar was a favourite holiday home for the famous author JRR Tolkien of The Hobbit and Lord of the Rings fame. He regularly stayed in what is now room 205. A Blue Plaque commemorates this at the front entrance under the portico.
The Miramar has had a succession of owners over the years. The current owners are the Blakemore family who purchased the hotel in February 1997.
Mr and Mrs Blakemore started a programme of renovations and improvements which is ongoing and will ensure that the Miramar remains one of Bournemouth’s premier hotels.